Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Opinion on Bystander Behavior

"BUYa--stander??-- do I really need to purchase someone that would do a priceless good deed for me??"

There's these moments where I feel like,"darn I should have help that person or those people out with that problem", and I hate that feeling. Being a bystander is, in my opinion, a horrible feeling to be in. I've been a bystander to situations such as in an abusive fight with a couple. I couldn't have done anything because I was young and didn't know what would happen to me in the scene of helping someone else, but as an almost-adult, I feel that I have authority to help others out in a more significant manner.

A situation in which I wished the bystander would take action and make a difference is with elderly people. In situations in which an elderly lady is in a grocery store and she's struggling with her health condition while shopping is when she's approached by rude people saying harsh remarks and snickering at her. This sweet old lady just wants to shop, but is being teased my young snotty teenagers! No one else around the store says anything and she is left fragile in sadness. (That is just a light example though) There's so many situations in which a bystander is the one that should feel guilt but they don't..

In college, after watching the segment on hazing, I would hate to be the one in that situation. I have not heard anyone at OU being hazed or anything, but I've heard that other schools/universities have that problem. I think that people are scared and embarrassed to have them know as the "snitch" of the group therefore they avoid the fact of speaking out. It all comes down to a person's choice and it would continue to be that way until who knows when.. A way that all of us can avoid hazing is being informed with real life experiences and everyone is exposed to the real life situation. Life is such an amazing event, but when problems, such as anger and madness takes over, it's hard to deal with. I know for sure that I will conduct myself in a positive manner and not be the bystander--Ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment